How to set up your first iPMC extension in 5 minutes
This time I will show you how to set up your first iPMC extension in 5 minutes. We will start a new VS project using pre-defined templates found at inRiver’s community (https://community.inriver.com). After deployment we will trigger the Test() method (all inRiver extension have this method). Let’s get started!
Pre-requirements: Go to https://community.inriver.com/product/technical-descriptions/extensions/visual-studio-2017-templates/ and follow the guide on how to set up inRiver Visual Studio templates.
1. Create a new project. I will call mine “Sigma.iPMC.Demo” and I will create a “Scheduled Extension”
2. Right click the project and go to “Manage NuGet Packages…” Restore packages and go to “Updates” tab and update the “inRiver” package to the latest stable version.
3. (Optional) Change name of the predefined “MyScheduledExtension.cs” and “MyExtension” class name. I will use “DemoScheduledExtension” for both.
4. Add a return message to the Test() method. I will also add a log message so that we can confirm that logging is working. A tip is to log out your “ExtensionId” when logging. It makes it easier to see what extension that does what in the “ants war” of log messages in Control Centers log.
5. It’s time to build your extension and then create the zip package that we will upload to Control Center. Rename the zip file to something meaningful. The zip file name will be used as an ID for your package in ControlCenter. (“.pdb” files does not need to be included).
6. Go to Connect -> Packages and upload the package to your ControlCenter. Don’t forget to press “Upload” button after dropping the file in the drop area.
7. Go to Connect -> Extensions and press “Add Extension”. Fill in the form to set up your extension.
My extension settings:
Extension Id: SigmaDemoExtension
Assembly Name: Sigma.iPMC.Demo.dll
Assembly Type: Sigma.iPMC.Demo.DemoScheduledExtension
Extension Type: ScheduledExtension
Tip: Assembly Name is your extension class namespace + extension class name
Press “Save” when finished.
8. Now everything is set up! Let’s press Test and confirm that everything is working! Now a small alert box should show up in the lower right corner containing your return message. Don’t forget to check your log message also!
inRiver PIM Developer